Justin MacDonald loves helping clients realize what they want.
Concerning whether a contractor should have a college degree or not, Justin says that when you have an education no one can take that away from you.
However, Justin was more interested in building a life than he was in building a career. So he found a way to do just that by building a successful electrical contracting company.
Some tips for building a great contracting company:
- Be honest
- Do good work
- Show up on time
- Don’t gouge your clients – be reasonable
Back when Justin was getting started he wished he would have knew more about quoting, pricing, and billing. Some of the guys he worked with during that time helped him out a lot.
To the general contractor who hires sub contractors, Justin has some great advice:
- Make sure your scheduling is organized
- Let your subs know the due date
- Don’t rush them
- Pay on time
- Be detail oriented
- Keep the site clean
Best advice Justin remembers receiving is: Stay small at first. In other words, don’t bite off more than you can chew.
The book Justin recommends is:
- Can’t Hurt Me: Master Your Mind and Defy the Odds -David Goggins
To the new contractor who is just getting started, here is Justin Macdonald’s advice:
- When out there working with others, make sure you give the full effort from start to finish.
- Leave no small detail undone.
- If you are a subcontractor, buddy up with other trades people.
- Networking is so key.
Thank you so much for listening to this contractor podcast. If you have enjoyed this one please subscribe and share it with others.